Cranbury is one of the oldest towns in New Jersey. Settlers came from France, England, Scotland, Holland, Germany, and Norway, perhaps as early as 1680. However, the first recorded evidence of buildings in Cranbury is March 1, 1698, on a deed of sale between Josia Prickett of Burlington and John Harrison for land "with all improvements." Around the same date, John Harrison also received a license to buy more land from the local Lenape Indians, a Delaware tribe.

In the 18th century, it took three days to travel between New York City and Philadelphia on poorly maintain roads and trails. Cranbury's own first roads followed the trails of the Lenape. At the midway point between the two major colonial cities, Cranbury proved to be a convenient stop for stagecoaches, a place where horses could be changed, beds perhaps shared, and food of an uncertain quality provided.

For more on the history of Cranbury, select the "History of Cranbury" tab to the left.